Devon Jack Narracott - 16th January 2009

EllieBelle

Reaction score
Well thought I would quickly write my birth story and introduce our beautiful Son - Devon Jack Narracott!!

Devon was born by elective C-Section (due to him being breech) on Jan 16th @ 12.06pm
Weighing in at a healthy 8lbs 7oz.

Arrived at the hospital at 8am as they requested, and was told we would be the 2nd c-section of the day as long as there were no emergencies. We were told to sit and wait in the day assessment centre until they were ready for us. It was the longest wait of my life!!

At about 11.15am they came and told me they were ready, and I was taken into the delivery suites, and given a room where I changed into my theatre gown, and hubby got into his theatre scrubs. Then the anesthestist came to see me, she was absolutely lovely and spent a good 15 mins talking me though the whole procedure. Finally the surgeon came to see me, and literally 2 mins before I went into the operating theatre they scanned me to check baby was definitely still breech! The scan lasted seconds as they quickly found his head under my ribcage.

The whole c-section took around an hour, the actual spinal block itself was not too bad, and kicked in very quickly - it was the most bizarre feeling, being able to feel pressure, and people touching you - but to feel no pain at all!

I asked for a running commentary, and had also provided my own CD which they played for me! Once the spinal block had taken effect (they used ice to determine what I could feel), the operation began and it only took about 10 minutes for Devon to be born, and although I could feel some very strange pressure and tugging type sensations, it really wasnt uncomfortable at all - the worse thing for me was the fact the spinal block made me quite sick and shake uncontrollably, but they kept administering more drugs to try and stop the side effects.

We had asked for the screen to be lowered so my husband could take a photo the moment he was pulled out.

Devon was taken straight to be checked and was very soon sceaming down the operating theatre - which was music to my ears, my hubby was then given Devon and he held him close to my shoulder, as I was still shaking badly it was very difficult for me to hold him.

I was soon stitched up and was moved to a recovery room, Devon was weighed and we all had a guess what we thought he would weigh - unbelieveably I guessed correctly, maybe I could tell how much weight I had been carrying around in the last trimester! I was then able to have skin to skin contact, and breastfeed my son - all pain and anxiety at this point disappeared and I was in total awe of our new baby boy!

After about 6 hours I was transferred to the ward (only 4 beds so fairly private), it was a difficult night and I had to buzz when Devon cried as I was still quite numb, and also attached to drips and had a catheter still in. At 6am the next morning they came to remove the catheter and also got me up walking - it was pretty painful to say the least, but after a shot of morphine the pain was gone! By that afternoon I was able to walk around much more and even went for a shower, each day the pain has improved, and although its not the nicest of operations, and I certainly wouldnt recommend one unless necessary - it really wasnt too bad, and I would go through it all again because the reward at the end is priceless!!!

I spent 3 nights in hospital, and its now been a week since Devon was born - its hard sometimes to remember you have had major surgery when you have a newborn to look after, and Im constantly sleeping when I can - Im still totally exhausted to be honest. My husband has been amazing - he has cleaned the house from top to bottom, he cooks, does the shopping and generally makes sure we are both ok - I really couldnt have done it without him!

Devon is flourishing and I am head over heels in love with him - absolutely nothing prepared me for the emotions and feelings you have for your new baby, I spend hours just looking at him, and often end up crying with total joy, love and happiness, I just cannot believe how lucky we are to have been blessed with such a beautiful son!

Here are a couple of photos of my "ray of sunshine"!!!

035-1.jpg

037.jpg

COngratulations honey, reading your story really reminded me about my own c-section, I had completely forgotten the uncontrollable shaking.

Glad your husband is being a great support to you both. :hug:

Ellie baby Devon is gorgeous well done you :cheer:

Your DH sounds like he is really taking care of you & Devon well done that man! :hug:

Congratulations, he is geourgous. Well done you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back