Charlie born 2nd January 9.59am 7lbs 2

Ellied

Reaction score
Sorry this has taken me so long but here it is finally....

And btw i have not read it back so it might not make much sense at all...time to go feed again :wave:

I guess my story is more straight forward then most. Due to a condition called Vasa Previa I had to have a c-section (baby only has a 5% chance of surviving natural birth)

Ever since finding out i was pregnant I knew that i didn't want a c-section but life as it is that is what i was given. On Tuesday 2nd of January it was going to be my turn.

We arrived at the hospital at 8.15 only to be advised that they had 3 planned c-sections that day, they only usually have 2. We were all placed in the same room and all secretly wanting to be the first one in and not get bumped to another day. After about 45 minutes the anesthetist came to see me and informed me that they were ready for me. My condition was not very common at all so everyone was keen to get in and have a look lol It was all very rushed as they had a busy schedule. Come about 9.30 I think i was having my spinal done. It was not bad at all, but i have to admit i was totally shitting myself.

After about 15 mins we were taken into theatre (can i just point out that ALL of the theatre staff were amazing, very efficient and very reassuring. I felt in safe hands) They placed the catheter in and tasked the anesthetist with talking to me and keeping me distracted. Then they said ok we are about to start, this was 9.51. The baby will be out by 10am. I could feel them tugging away at my belly and my body was being rocked from side to side but no pain or discomfort. I kept on going very faint and dizzy due to low blood pressure and had a reaction to some of the drugs so was shaking.

They lowered the screen and the first thing i could see as 'bump' was being lifted out was testicles. The time was 9.59 We guessed it was a boy then :lol: They showed me my baby and cut the cord. He had his eyes closed and was not crying. I went into panic mode, i wanted to hear him cry. They took him off to a table at the side and started rubbing him. Again no movement or sound. I sent OH over to be with him. I was in floods of tears thinking the worse. The 2 people attending to him seemed very calm and Oh kept on saying he was ok. They they gave him a bit of oxygen and i saw a arm waving around. They i cried tears of joy :lol: He still didn't make a noise though and was pretty silent for the first 24 hours.

They wrapped him up and brought him over to us where we cuddled him whilst they stitched me up. As soon as they moved me onto the bed to go out of theatre i was allowed skin to skin. Charlie (we had already decided on the name even though we were team green) was very alert and absorbing everything around him.

is hard to think that he is 5 weeks old tomorrow. We both love him so much and he is generally a really good baby. He has started to smile now for real and when he did that this morning i forgave him for only letting me sleep 2 hours last night.

A few more points to add.

*I was very lucky with my c-section and my recovery has been very good. I would still not 'choose' to have one though.

* we got taken back into hospital as Charlie was loosing weight. Although he was feeding every couple of hours i was not producing enough milk, We tried to increase the amount,expressing etc but it still did not work. We were under the care of the pediatricians and i made the decision to put him onto formula. I was made to feel like a failure from the BF expert and some of the midwifes. The other ones were supportive and agreed it was the right decision for my baby. Even the pediatrician agreed.

* don't let yourself be bullied by the staff. At the end of the day they can advise but it is your baby. 30 some years ago BF was bad and not allowed.

* i found that some people were not very nice to me knowing i had a c-section. Felt like i needed a label saying it was not from choice but for medical reasons. Didn't help that some of the staff were not really aware of my condition.

These were taken teh first couple of days in hospital
CharlieMcCaul.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0868.jpg

:cheer: Congrats :cheer:

Born on my Birthday!! :D

The pics dont work for me :(

The pics are beautiful :D Congratulations on your LO and your matter of fact approach to everything :D

What a bee-ootiful little boy!

Well done for being so brave and I'm sorry you've had some negative attitudes. Unfortuately it's something so many mums experience but all that matters is that gorgeous little fella in your arms. Screw 'em! You've done grand xxxx

Awww hes beautifull.
Congrats on ur lil man xxx

:hug:

He is gorgeous :D

Well done for being so brave x

Congratulations!

I felt the same when I got sectioned.Although it went well i feltr people looked down on me for it,even though I had no choice as Willow was breech

& your little boy is absolutely gorgeous!

Lovely little one, he is so cute!!!!! :cheer:

Congrats and i hope you are up and about in no time. :cheer:

Congrats! He is adorable! :D

It's a shame you've had negative comments about your c-section and moving onto formula, especially the one's coming from the medical staff! :shock: Sod them though, you tried and it didn't work, it's not a big deal :D

congrats hun he's so gorgeous! sorry to hear u got some negativity from the staff. :hug:

He's so very beautiful. Congratulations hun, so glad it all worked out well. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back