cracked lips on baby when breastfeeding?

reallyoldmum

Reaction score
George seems to have taken to feeding well but on day one he seemed to get a small blister on his lips - this has now turned into cracking.... it doesnt seem to be painful to him and isnt causing any problems with feeding it looks worse after a feed when it goes white which I think is when milk sticks to it, but I wondered if anyone else had experienced this?

Not sure whether I should rub something into them to moisturise them?

Thanks

Jane x

This happened with both DD and DS, as far as I know it's normal and so long as it is more a case of dry skin instead of sore it is actually a sign of breastfeeding well. I found the skin would usually rub off on it's own. All I did was rub a bit of milk into it to keep it soft

Sounds like you're doing a great job! :hug:

Last edited:
leo has this too, they seem dry for a couple of days then it peels off, then it gets dry again.doesnt seem to cause him any problem

Jessica had this too - the dry lips aren't so bad now but she still gets a blister on her top lip every so often. The midwife said it was a milk blister and because she was feeding so well (by which she meant every hour!)

For her dry lips they recommended vaseline but when we we went back into hospital I hadn't got any and used Lansinoh which worked far better and wasn't so greasy.

Poppy never had this but the MW told me that it might happen and said if I wanted to I could rub a tiny bit of vaseline in but I didn't need to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back