How do u know when to drop a milk feed?

mum2b410

Reaction score
Might sound obvious but I'm not sure on when or how to do this!
Ethan has a bf after breakfast, naps, has playtime then lunch and a bottle, plays, naps again, then coz he has a third sleep around 4.30 I have been doing a bottle at 3.30 and then dinner around 6 and he has a bottle at bedtime about 7-7.30. I was wondering whether I should b reducing or dropping the 3.30 bottle? Or trying water and a snack instead? (I don't think he'd go from.lunch at 11.30-12 thru til dinner at 6 without something!) He is having 6oz with most bottles at the mo. I know he is meant to have 1pint of milk a day (or non liquid equivalent) from hv advice and he has yoghurt and cheese and cows milk in porridge etc So should I b dropping the afternoon bottle or not?
The other option I guess would b tea at 3.30-4 and then a bottle at bedtime but it seems a rush to get dinner for 3.30 and with trying to do blw I dont really wanna eat my dinner that early!
Hope I'm making sense- sorry its a bit of a ramble!
Any thoughts?

Not to worry- I have been lent the Gill Rapley book and it explains in there they r unlikely to reduce the milk until 9months or so. So I'm not gonna worry about it and just c what he does when he's eating more! ....If anyone has any experience they could share I'd b interested to know what u think! Thanks xx

hey hun

with my other 2 kids i just went with the flow and continued the milk as and when the wanted until eventually they dropped it theirself, so if he wants it give it him thats the only advice i can offer :) xx

If hes drinking all the milk I would keep as it is. I only dropped a feed as Jax was wasting so much milk. Before weaning he was having 4 x 5ox bottles in the day - 8.30am, 12pm, 3pm and 6.30pm. I tried keeping all milk the same but he would always either leave the 12pm or 3pm bottle so I've now combined those and do 1 bottle inbetween those times at around 1.30pm instead.

Thank u ladies!
Lyndsey- he definitely still wants it so I will keep giving it! And DW1978 he has reduced the amount in his bottles by about 2oz generally so if he still has a good 5-6oz most of the time. Maybe he will do what jax did and start to drop one of the afternoon ones? I guess there is no rule with these things and he will let me know when he doesn't want it anymore! X

Hi, I went from your milk feed times to 730, 2 and 7. She has breakfast at 839, lunch at 1130 and dinner at 430. So we just merged the mid morning and mid afternoon bottle.

My lo dropped 2 bottles within a week
Or 2 of each other at around 9 months. The first to go was the lunch time bottle and the second was the bedtime bottle. He would either bat away the bottle when I offered it or only take an ounce then not want any more.
He now has a bottle in the morning, and one at about 4pm.
Are you doing blw? If so, then definitely go with the flow. Your baby roll tell you when they don't want their milk.

My lo dropped 2 bottles within a week
Or 2 of each other at around 9 months. The first to go was the lunch time bottle and the second was the bedtime bottle. He would either bat away the bottle when I offered it or only take an ounce then not want any more.
He now has a bottle in the morning, and one at about 4pm.
Are you doing blw? If so, then definitely go with the flow. Your baby roll tell you when they don't want their milk.

Not exclusively blw but majority of the time yes. So Yeh, will just go witg what he wants to do! Thanks for advice X

With his lunch bottle Owen literally stopped taking it. Wouldn't drink any or just a little so we just removed it x

Mum of Owen. Born 11/7/11 @ 19.17pm weighing 7lb 12 oz :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back